Explore – encounter – investigate – learn – ACT!
The PNSF Expedition is embarking on
an around the world road trip dedicated to promoting awareness of the
consequences of plastic pollution and seeking viable alternatives to single use
The PNSF Expedition does not advocate
the complete abolition of plastic products; however it condemns the
irresponsible consumption and disposal of single use plastics. Through this
adventurous journey, the PNSF Expedition will also showcase the diversity of
the United Arab Emirates to the world, and highlight the nation’s own struggle
against plastic waste and pollution.
The PNSF Expedition is endorsed and supported by several NGO’s and environmental authorities, groups and awareness bodies.
The PNSF Expedition does not advocate the complete abolition of plastic products; however it condemns the irresponsible consumption and disposal of single use plastics. Together with it’s supporters and endorsers, whilst not advocating total plastic condemnation, the PNSF Expedition intends to raise awareness about plastic pollution and its toxic impacts on humans; the environment; and wildlife worldwide.
The consequences of plastic pollution are widespread, impacting not only land based animals, but also threatening marine environments globally. The world’s largest concentration of floating plastic waste has accumulated in the North Pacific, between Hawaii and the west coast of the US, and is estimated to be twice the size of Texas. A second, equally large, polluted area has now been confirmed to exist in the North Atlantic Ocean.
Our oceans remain one of the final frontiers: unexplored, unknown, and in some places, unreachable. Every second breath we take comes from the oceans. We rely on them for food, for recreation, and the very life we all too often take for granted. In return, we are choking them with pollution and destroying the marine environments that enable us to live rich and enjoyable lives.
© Greenpeace “Defending Our Oceans”
In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), where the PNSF Expedition will originate, we believe attitudes to waste creation and management are slowly changing, nevertheless, the UAE remains one of the highest per capita producers of waste in the world, and the PNSF team strongly believes that there is still considerable progress to be made. Unfortunately, the UAE’s environmental difficulties have often been highlighted by the international media in a negative light, rather than focusing on the positive progress which we hope the UAE will make over the coming years in relation to meeting the challenges posed in attempting to reach environmental sustainability.
The PNSF Expedition intends to provide information, data, case studies and constructive encouragement to both corporations and individuals by raising awareness of the consequence of the irresponsible consumption of single use plastics and show that our consumption in the United Arab Emirates has not only regional, but also global implications.
Plastic is a material that the Earth cannot digest. Every bit of plastic that has ever been created still exists, except the small amount that has been incinerated, and has become toxic air and particulate pollution.
© Plastic Pollution Coalition “Basic Concepts”
Furthermore, we intend to document “best practices” in the utilization of alternatives to single use plastics, and meet with experts in the field of plastic pollution.
SO ACT NOW- TOP TIPS
- Take your own carrier bags when you go shopping. Buy a couple of re-usable cotton or jute bags and keep them with you.
- Buy a re-usable water bottle and keep filling it up.
- Use a water jug at home instead of plastic water bottles.
- Try not to buy pre-packaged food – start meals from scratch and you will cut down on packaging.
- Avoid fast food and all the packaging that goes with it.
- Ask for items to be wrapped in greaseproof paper at your supermarket meat / cheese / delicatessen counter.
- Confront plastic polluters and make your voice heard.
Raising Plastic Pollution Awareness from the UAE to the rest of the world.
- Our passion is the great outdoors. We love to discover new places, but unfortunately we have encountered all too often the destructive effects of plastic pollution in the most remote corners of the globe.
Thus the idea came to combine the two – a great journey with a great cause. PlasticNotSoFantastic was born…
Join us in our quest to: explore – encounter – investigate – learn – ACT!
Current PNSF Location
- February 2013 (1)
- November 2012 (3)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (7)
- August 2012 (3)
- July 2012 (3)
- June 2012 (4)
- May 2012 (6)
- April 2012 (5)
- March 2012 (10)
- February 2012 (2)
- January 2012 (7)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (5)
- October 2011 (10)
- September 2011 (11)
- August 2011 (7)
- July 2011 (6)
- June 2011 (15)
- May 2011 (11)
Like the mission? Please DONATE!
Follow Us on Twitter
- Theresa & David on Special report! Ukraine, Russia and Georgia via Port Kerch, the Vladikavkaz / Verkhiny Lars and Kazbegi / Stepantsminda border
- Nigel on Special report! Ukraine, Russia and Georgia via Port Kerch, the Vladikavkaz / Verkhiny Lars and Kazbegi / Stepantsminda border
- Theresa & David on GoalZero review
- Kevin T on GoalZero review
- Theresa & David on Luebecker Nachrichten – an article
Images on FLICKR
PNSF Featured Video